After studying painting and graphic design at Cooper Union and Yale, Jay Maisel began his career in photography in 1954. While his portfolio includes the likes of Marilyn Monroe and Miles Davis, he is perhaps best known for capturing the light, color, and gesture found in everyday life.
Some of his commercial accomplishments include five Sports Illustrated swimsuit covers, the first two covers of New York Magazine, the cover of Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue (the best-selling jazz album of all time), twelve years of advertising with United Technologies, and awards from such organizations as International Center for Photography, American Society of Media Photographers, Art Directors Club, Professional Photographers of America, and The Cooper Union.
Since he stopped taking on commercial work in the late ’90s, Jay has continued to focus on his personal work. He has developed a reputation as a giving and inspiring teacher as a result of extensive lecturing and photography workshops throughout the country. He also continues to sell prints, which can be found in private, corporate, and museum collections.
Audio & Video
- Kelby One CoursesScott asks the questions that keeps Jay delving deeper into each topic. These classes will challenge the way you think about your photography and leave you itching to head out into the street.
- PDN Video Jay Maisel on How to Be a Better Street Photographer
- ColorTALK with Jay Maisel When color moves me, that’s when I shoot
- RGG | EDU Podcast Informal discussion about Jay's career, his favorite assigmments, and more.
Interviews & Editorials
- Daily Mail Interview: The Changing Face of New York's Skid Row
- Dave Dye Interview: Stuff from the Loft
- New York Legend Jay Maisel Dishes on 190 Bowery and his New Photo Archive
- Jay Maisel: How a Master Photographer Uses Gesture in Images to Tell a Story
- Q&A with John Paul Caponigro
- Faces of Cooper: Jay Maisel (ART ’52)
- ASMP Cover Artist: Jay Maisel
- Importance of Gesture and How to Be a Better Photographer
Previous Books by Jay Maisel
Awards & Accomplishments
- Lifetime Achievement Award